Monday, January 9, 2012

No more excuses

After the birth of C, I lost my last excuse.

After I had AJ, I lost 30 pounds, which still left me 10 pounds higher than I was before getting pregnant. Those 10 pounds stuck around mainly because I never did anything to get rid of it. I accepted those 10 as not an issue. I just figured I was going to gain more the next time I got pregnant, so why bother to fight against that last bit of gain.

Now that I've had C, I lost 25 of the 35 pounds I gained in that pregnancy. So, I am now 20 pounds heavier than I was before any kids. Since we are pretty sure we're now done with having kids, I have no more excuses (not that the one I was using was a good one).

M and I discussed how we really need to eat better, (read: make actual dinners with veggies and not ask AJ what she wants and have nuggets or hot dogs every night). We made a list of veggies we like (a very short list), veggies we're willing to try, and veggies we will not touch no matter how much cheese sauce is on top. Sadly, to create this list we had to open up a list online of vegetables. After thinking of green beans and peas, we were at a loss of what other veggies there are. So sad, I know.

Over the weekend I spent a half hour in the produce department of our grocery store. I had to stick near my cart or I'd never figure out which one was mine. My cart usually has a bag of apples and a bag of potatoes, then I'm done with the produce department. After consulting our list of vegetables, I decide to pick a few off the "try" list and then bulk up on stuff for salads, which I know we'll eat without a big issue.

I got a head of cauliflower, an avacado, and asparagus. I'm not sure exactly what I'll be doing with each of these, but it was a good start. Hopefully we can get everyone in the house eating a bit better. Since I'm home for at least the next five weeks, I have no excuse to not make a real dinner every night we're all home.

Next step will be exercising. I picked up a pedometer/heart rate/stop watch thing since it was much cheaper than a gym membership. I'm really hoping to make the Couch to 5K work. I am anticipating the 20-30 minutes alone will be a good mental break as well as the physical benefits. Thankfully, so far this winter has been almost non-existent, so going out to run along the streets in the neighborhood won't be hindered by the snow, unless I just jinxed myself.

Fingers crossed this works out.

3 comments:

  1. I have come to love veggies once I learned how to cook them! With the asparagus, you can oven roast it, but my favorite is just to put it in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes (til soft and tender), then toss with olive oil, lemon juice, parmesan, salt and pepper. So good.

    Cauliflower is always good with cheese! :-) We also make a broccoli/cauliflower salad that is seriously good if you ever want to try it.

    We use avacado in a lot of dishes (homemade guacamole, a sweet potato salad, eggs, etc). Some people eat it alone but it doesn't excite me that much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We usually roast our asparagus. Put it on a cookie sheet with olive oil, salt (we use garlic salt), pepper, and red pepper flakes if you want a little kick. Roast for about 5-10 mintues. So good!

    ReplyDelete