Monday, August 23, 2010

Signs II

A while ago I wrote about seeing signs from God that I was on the right path or doing the right things with my life. I try to keep an open dialogue with God, but I usually don't feel like I've felt His presence or seen the signs He intends. Earlier I wrote about seeing the sign I was to marry M. I felt another sign when we bought our house. I was standing in the kitchen during our first walk through. I looked out the window above the sink and felt an overwhelming sense of "home". I just knew this was the house we were supposed to live in. With all the problems we've had, termites, electrical issues, lack of space, etc., I still think back on that feeling and find comfort in that we are where He intended us to be.

Another more recent example is deciding when to try for another baby. I got the baby bug when AJ was only 4 months old. How crazy that seems now. I could be just about to have another baby if we had went with that feeling. I couldn't imagine trying to run after AJ while being so pregnant I didn't want to move. Or to make AJ miss out on any experiences this summer because I didn't feel well.

Because of this I started praying about when to start trying to conceive again. M and I agree on two names, one a first name for a boy and one a middle name for a girl. In one of my many conversations with God I said, when it is time for us to try again, I want to hear the priest in Sunday Mass mention both of these names together. So for months I've been waiting to hear my sign. I know that I could have read up on the Sunday readings and known beforehand when both names would be mentioned together. I didn't want to do that, it felt like cheating. Last Sunday I received my sign. I know it was meant to be because M and I had decided to not go to church that day. We've had a really busy summer each doing our own things. We hadn't been able to spend much time together as a family, so we went out for breakfast and were going to have a quiet day together.

While out at breakfast M gets a call from his mother. She really needs to talk to her sons about an important matter, and could we meet over at brother-in-law's house, go to church with them, and have lunch to talk. Ok. So much for our quiet day. I was really bummed, but I knew what she needed to talk to her boys about, and it was important. Lo and behold, that day in Mass, the day we weren't going to go, was the day both names were said by the priest. Exactly the sign I had asked for. Take it for what you will, but we took it to mean it was time. As a side note: M had been praying as well about the same issue, and we discussed later that he got his sign from God a few days earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment