Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Bum Debate

Recently I've been toying with the idea of switching AJ to cloth diapers. I don't know anyone in real life who does this anymore. Most people who I've mentioned it to shudder at the mere thought of attempting something so archaic when disposables are so available and easy. Parents, grandparents, and basically anyone who has ever pinned a cloth diaper or attempted to get the foul remains of a toddler with an upset stomach into the toilet then the washing machine looks at me like I've suddenly grown a second or even third head. "Why would you even consider this?!?!"

In my online life however I know many people who cloth diaper. They are forever extolling on the wonders that are cloth diapers. They are great for the baby, the environment, the wallet, and make you feel like a better person for having done something so wonderous. Maybe I'm easily persuaded. Ok, there's no maybe about it, but I feel like I'm a worse person for going so willingly to disposables.

I have at least one year left before the words "potty training" will even enter our home, and that's being very hopeful on my part. So make that closer to two years of purchasing and tossing those oh so convenient bum covers. Then there's the idea of adding one, or more, baby to the mix in the coming years. It makes a person think.

How does a mother make the switch mid-game? After months of change the baby, toss the diaper I'm actually thinking of having to spray, wash, dry, sun-bleach, fold. Then there's the thought of trying to salvage a diaper after a particularly bad BM. I've seen some blowouts where I've seriously considered whether the onsie was worth trying to save, or just toss it with the diaper as a total loss. My stomach is turning just contemplating going through this as par for the course.

I think it would have been an easier decision if I didn't know the alternative. I know how easy life is now. Sure the CD Mamas, as they are known, will say how cloth is no more difficult than disposables. I can't imagine how this is true though. I don't have to worry about doing laundry every other day for fear the house will smell like a men's room at a concert in July. I don't have a hose attached to my toilet, so I can spray those poopies right off. Seriously, some of the vileness I've seen come from my beautiful little girl took so many wipes I lost count. I have wanted to take her outside and spray her down with a garden hose and the best part was wrapping the diaper up in it's neat little triangle shape and throwing it in the trash, wiping my hands of the whole mess. Had she been in cloth... [shudder]

So, the jury is still out. I'll have to price out the diapers we're using now and see what the best option would be for us. Actually, that's just to make me feel like I'm a well thought out person. The real reason holding me back is the though that AJ (and any future baby) won't be able to wear jeans. For some reason, that's what I'm still holding on to. I'm going to go hang my materialistic head in shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment