Saturday, July 9, 2011

When "we" means "me"

M had a thought a while ago to host a cookout at our house for his Reservist buddies. We live really close to where they meet up, and no one else does. They spend Saturday night in a hotel, so it sounded like a great idea. When he brought up this plan, he was all about how we could make this, or have that. As it got closer, he said people were offering to help by bringing things. Fantastic!

Just before leaving for work yesterday morning I get the list from M, finally, after pestering him about it for a week at least, and we have 11 people saying they're coming. Of those 11, 4 have offered to help by bringing something. Person 1: drinks, Person 2: drinks, Person 3: drinks, Person 4: drinks. ?!?!? Hmmm, okay. Well at least I don't have to deal with figuring out what people like to drink.

Last night M tells me he is going to do what he can to help out. Thank you M, that is great. I head to the grocery store to pick up some fixings and he is going to help out at home. I get home and the gas tank on the grill has been refilled. Yay! Unfortunately the lawn isn't mowed. Hmmm, I get inside and he's watching TV. Okay. I bring in the groceries and he is still watching TV. I ask if he's going to help out, and he assures me he will. I get things together to make up the salad sides, and he continues to watch TV. Eh, it's hot, I don't feel like making up the sides either. There's always tomorrow.

So the cookout is today. M gets up early and heads off to drill. I stare at the house. 11 people will be showing up this afternoon. I get to make up 5 pounds of potato salad, 2 pounds of pasta salad, clean up the house, and try to keep it clean with AJ "helping". Set up the backyard for company. Since it's just AJ and me, no lawn mowing will be done today. Oh well, it's not that bad, really. M texts me saying that every one wants to change at our house, so now I get to make sure the bedrooms are at least change worthy clean, as well as scrubbing down the bathroom.

So, M has the idea for the cookout and I get to do the work for it. Yep, I love when "we" means "me". Oh well, at least I know who will be manning the grill, and I can guaranty it won't be me.

1 comment:

  1. I hear you. DH informed me that he might have to work today and I said it is Elle's party. He said I will be home in time for that and I said who will do all the shopping and shleping everything to the park. And he said well you can do it right? Needless to say a dirty look and no comment and he said OK I will tell them I can't work! Men!

    ReplyDelete