Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Signs (Part I)

This is something I should have put down in writing a while ago, but never did, then forgot about it. Until Sunday, when I was hit with the realization all over again.

It was three years ago, Sunday, that I (1) first met M's family and (2) was struck with the realization that Jesus wanted M to be the man I marry.

For the past four years M and his family go to church together the last Sunday of January. We had been dating for all of three weeks when he asked me to go with him to meet his family. M and I get there first, find a pew, and wait for Mass to begin. While waiting his mother and her husband show up. I get a quick intro, a quick hug and face front again. A minute later, one of the brothers shows up, again, quick intro, and back to front. The Mass begins, and I'm lost in the music, listening to M sing loud and proud. The introduction and first prayer are finished, and we sit. It is then that I realize our pew and the one behind us are now full, and apparently they are all M's family. Four brothers, two girlfriends, a niece, and a family friend all show up, surrounding us while I wasn't looking. I get this amazing feeling of belonging wash over me. I've never felt anything like it before.

The readings begin, and what's the first one? 1 Corinthians 13:4 This is the ultimate wedding verse. Love is... That's all that needs to be said. Everyone knows it. Two words and people are already finishing the sentance. I don't think there could have been a less subtle sign. I look at M and I hear Him telling me, this is your future. This family and this church.

Lo and behold He was right. Shocking I know. I am now a part of that family and belong to that church. How did I suddenly remember this amazing day? The liturgical calendar is three years. That means that every three years the readings will repeat. Sitting in church with M and his family again, I hear the lectur read "Love is...".  WHAM! It hits me, that deja vu, only not. I'm now sitting with MY family, we all have the same last name now. Some faces have changed, one of the girlfriends is gone, the other girlfriend is now a fiance, and the biggest change, AJ is now sleeping in her father's arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment