Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthday Vacation Day 2

So, on to Day 2

It was supposed to be a cold, rainy and just gross day. Good day for museums. First though, we had to go back to Point Chuard for another crepe breakfast. This time apple brown sugar. Sooo good!

Since it wasn't raining at the time we left breakfast, we stopped at the front of the White House. In all the times my mother had been, she's never seen the front. That was on her list of must-sees. She was hoping to see a sniper on the roof, but didn't get that lucky


I'm not sure how I managed to get a pic without a group of people in front of me, but somehow it worked. There was a couple trying to take a picture of their tiny dog alone in front. He was small enough to fit through the bars of the fence. Yeah, the police weren't a fan of that idea. It was pretty funny to watch that exchange. The woman couldn't understand what the problem was.

Alright, moving on. We get to the museum at 9AM. We lingered over breakfast, stopped for the above photo op, stopped at the White House Gift Shop and still, it was only 9AM. The problem you see, museums don't open until 10AM. Grreat, it's windy, cold and starting to rain. We spent the next hour huddled under the overhang of the Natural History Museum. After a few rounds of Words with Friends and watching people, the doors finally open.


I get in and see my dinosaur. I have never seen one, and that was on my list of must-sees, so I was able to check that one off the list. By 11AM we were done with that one, and ready to move on. I mean, really, I don't understand how we could have spent any more time in there than we did. We saw the bones, the gemstones, the whale, what else is there?

Baby decided it was time for an early lunch. Again, not wanting to pay outrageous prices for bad food, we move away and head up to a real place for food. Corner Bakery. Like Panera I guess. Quite tasty sandwiches though, and mighty yummy mini-monster cookies. As we're walking up to the restaurant it starts to downpour. We watch the rain during lunch and make a quick stop into Filene's Basement for an umbrella as I don't own one. I pick it out, buy it, put it up, and of course, no more rain. Figures.

Thankfully though, the rain made the line to get into the American History Museum much shorter. Here is where we were able to make two more checks off our list



Julia Child's kitchen and the Bunker's chairs. Yep, that's where our interest in American History lies. We did of course look at a lot of other things there, but these were the highlights.

Due to the pain our legs were in from all the walking the day before, we were pretty much broken and hobbling back to the hotel. Again, we got in by 2PM. Hung out in the room until dinner and decided to go to the hotel restaurant to stay out of the rain. 14K had seriously the best dinner I've ever had. A-MAZ-ING I had a kobe burger with an onion tomato relish and truffle mac&cheese, with cherry creme brule for dessert. I'm still salivating over the thought of it.

Our legs couldn't handle much more, so that was the end of Day 2

No comments:

Post a Comment