Monday, April 11, 2011

Sew Last Minute

My really good friend is having a baby. It was a long struggle for her, and she is just enjoying every minute of being pregnant. I have never heard her complain about one second of baking that baby. Saturday was her baby shower, and she was glowing. I wanted to do something a little special for her. I bought a bunch of things that were life savers for us in the early months, Mrs. Meyers lotion, Butt Paste, the musical remote mirror for the car (the most annoying sound in the world, but the only thing that could calm AJ when taking long drives), and Gerber diapers for burp rags.

I LOVE Gerber diapers for burp rags. The really thick kind though. When I was pregnant with AJ, for some reason we couldn't find those anywhere and ended up getting the gauzy ones. Nothing like picking up spit-up with basically cheesecloth. Blech! Well, the look of a diaper hanging over the shoulder isn't the best look, so I wanted to pretty it up a bit for my friend. I had all these grand ideas of how I was going to do it, but I'm the worst procrastinator in the world. I bought all the material to do my plan in February. Saturday morning, 4 hours before the shower, I finally started sewing. Yep, I waited that long. So of course none of my original plans had enough time left to be completed.

My friend loves to read, and what's better than Dr. Seuess? This is what I started with:


I purchased half a yard of the fabric and a six pack of diapers. I washed the diapers to shrink them a bit, then cut the fabric to about an inch wider than the diaper and six inches long. I folded the edges at about a 1/4 to 1/2, pinned and ironed. Then folded them in half and ironed the crease. I had lots of ideas to add fancy stitching in bright red (looked like a heart monitor readout), so I took that out. I had red piping, but didn't have enough time to do all six like that (it looked amazing though, so I really should try it sometime). I ended up just doing a straight stitch in white for time limitations.

Here's the end result:


I know they could have come out so much better, but thankfully my friend didn't see what the piping option looked like. Not knowing that, I think they look much better than just a plain diaper thrown over the shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment