Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthday Vacation Day 3

Our last day in DC

This is supposed to be zoo day. My prior checks of the weather said a small chance of rain, but overall a great day for being outside. However, when listening to the local news, their weatherman is saying an 80% chance of rain all day. Bummer. I check the acuweather off my phone and it's still claiming a small chance of rain. Since there's only clouds at the moment, we decided to make a go of it and head out.

Since dinner at 14K was fantastically great, we decide to forego the crepe breakfast and get a full meal at the hotel. What a bummer of a decision. It was just breakfast. Nothing great, nothing bad. By the end we were wishing we had just gotten the crepes again.

Today is also our Metro day. We were able to just walk everywhere, but the zoo is a bit of a hike. We check the map and see the red line stop is just a few blocks away. Our legs are feeling a bit better after the rest of the night before, so we're doing okay. DC is truly a beautiful city, at least the part we saw anyway. We find our station, and find out it's closed. What?! I didn't realize they close certain stops on the weekends. Ok. Another few blocks up is another stop. Sure why not. We keep walking. Eventually we find an open station. However, the escalator is not working. Not usually something I complain about, but um, do you know how many steps are on an escalator to a Metro in DC? I do now.

After some explanation from a very helpful attendant, we get our fare tickets and are ready to go. One stop. We had walked all the way to one stop from the zoo. oh well, that's how it goes I guess.

This was the first time either of us had been, so this was a nice visit.



Bummer of the day was that the Apes and Orangutangs weren't out. We tried to go through the Ape room to see them all, but it was incredibly crowded. I guess that's what a Saturday, on Easter weekend, on a sunny/70* day. (yeah, the local weatherman got it totally wrong). I'm so glad we went for it.

After making it back to the city area we were staying in, we stopped for a gellato (I forgot the name of the place we stopped), we figured we'd spend the rest of the day outside. As we were walking past the hotel it was 2PM again. I swear, it was like that hour had a magnet sucking us back to the hotel.

My first thought was to spend the afternoon people watching in the park, but apparently too many people also had that idea, and were making their homes there, again, literally. So we moved on, and sat in the park out front of the White House. There was some sort of protest going on. We were playing a great game of "guess that flag" as more people started showing up.

While we were walking, I had a great question asked of me by my mother. She's not a hockey fan, I am. She was wondering why there were so many people wearing the same shirt. Well, I had to explain first that the Capitals were in the play-offs, second that Ovechkin is one of the best players in the league right now, and third that the determining game was being played just a few blocks away. Yeah, she's not really a sports buff. We grabbed our first chain dinner. Subway. We were hoping to get pizza, but our legs hurt and it was too far away. We called it a night watching play off hockey and packing for our 2AM start to the travel home.

It was a fantastic trip. I am so glad I went and so happy we came home when we did. Three days was plenty, I missed AJ horribly at that point, and I got to see most of her Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment