Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food Fun Part 1

I've been slacking on updating here lately. I have been having some fun in the kitchen, but sadly my camera was no where near me at the time. I was trying some new creations for me, and didn't really want to document the possible failure. So what have I been up to?

First: Canning! I have never canned anything, however I grew up on self-preserved foods as we lived on a huge farm and my mother would have to put foods away from the garden and could only make it to the store maybe monthly. So, after reading lots of blog posts from one of my new faves/and old friends Yankee Hoosier Momma, I got inspired to finally give it a try. I had 12 peaches that were about to turn and no interest in eating them at the time. So, of course I go to the internet and see how many peaches I need to make preserves. Lo and behold I find recipes calling for 12 peaches. Awesome!

I take AJ out to Walmart to see what is needed for canning and what the prices will be. Of course this means I come home with all the equipment. M knew I wasn't actually going to look at that stuff and then leave. Now to show just how not with it I am, I look at the water bath canner pot and think, "hey, that looks just like a lobster pot". Um, yeah, I had always seen lobsters being cooked in that pot, so I completely thought that was a lobster pot. My mother had to explain to me the difference later that day. My bad. I get another vote of confidence when while checking out the cashier says "I always wanted to know how to make jelly", and I respond with "I'm hoping to learn today". She stares at me dumbfounded "you're going to teach yourself?" "Yep :)". Hey, isn't that what the internet is for?

So, back to home, and looking up lots of recipes to figure out where to start. First I have to find out how to start prepping. I get that done, and I'm off. It was surprisingly easy, which was great for a first attempt. I made 8 jelly jars and they all sealed without an issue. Yay me! It tastes very peachy and I'm really excited to attempt to make more jelly/jam/preserves and then as the season moves on, I'm on to pickling and relishes. Woot!

So, anyway, here's the recipe for the peach preserves I made, however I used less sugar, only 5 1/2 cups.

Peach Preserves
Ingredients:
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method


Cooking Directions:
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
4 pounds peaches -- peeled, pitted,
and thinly sliced
1 package Ball 100% Natural Fruit Jell Pectin
2 tablespoons lemon juice
7 cups sugar

Prepare Ball brand or Kerr brand jars and closures according to
manufacturer's instructions.

Measure 4 cups sliced peaches. Combine peaches, Fruit Jell pectin and
lemon juice in a large saucepot. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring
occasionally. Add sugar, stirring to dissolve. Return to a rolling boil.
Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim
foam if necessary.

Carefully ladle hot preserves into hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Wipe jar rim clean. Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
Screw band down evenly and firmly just until a point of resistance is met
-- fingertip tight.

Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. At elevations higher than
1,000 feet, boil 2 additional minutes for each additional 1,000 feet
elevation.

This recipe yields about nine 8-ounce jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment