Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Food Fun Part 2

So, Sunday was Father's Day. I asked M earlier in the week what he would like for a meal. Since we had plans for the evening, that left breakfast. He said "well, I have an idea, but I know you'd never make it". Okay, now I knew this was one of two things, either sausage gravy and biscuits or SOS. Both of which make my stomach turn just watching him eat, let alone thinking of eating it myself. Anyway, he (thankfully) goes with the gravy and biscuits. I can deal with that, I think. Off to the internet to figure out how to make such things as I have never in my life made biscuits or white gravy.

Saturday night we were vising with M's family and M mentions what I'm making for him for Father's Day. Everyone is really excited and the invite themselves over for breakfast. Ummm fantastic. Okay, so now I need to hit up the grocery store when they open at 7AM, pick up what I need for the extra 6-9 people who will be showing up, then get home and attempt a first ever meal with an audience. Joy.

Well, I figured, biscuits = southern; southern = Paula Deen; so Paula Deen biscuit recipe should = perfection. Ah, no. I'm not sure where the error occurred, but I'm fairly positive that if I had attempted to make these biscuits anywhere south of Virginia I would be tarred, feathered and catapulted back to New England. They weren't hockey pucks, but they sure weren't fluffy Cracker Barrell goodness either. Guess I need a lot more work on biscuit making should we ever get the urge to move south. Thankfully no one complained, they just added more gravy.

I found a recipe for sausage gravy and the picture looked similar to what I remember M being served when we'd go out for breakfast, at least before I put my menu up to block the sight of him actually eating the stuff. I was amazed at how easy it was. The only issue I had was at the end when I needed to know if the seasoning was correct. I had to enlist M's help to taste test. I don't know what the taste is supposed to be, and even knowing the ingredients, I still couldn't bring myself to actually taste that stuff.

So, one good one bad, but here are the recipes I used for M's big meal. Not sure if I'll be getting a second request for this one though.

Paula Deen's Biscuits (from foodnetwork.com) I should have known there would be an issue when no cook temp was set. Online reviews gave me an idea.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons butter, cubed
  • 3/4 cup milk

Directions

In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together. Cut butter into mixture until it begins to look like cornmeal.
Make a well with flour mixture and slowly add milk into the middle. Knead dough with your fingers and add milk when necessary. Roll out dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to desired thickness. Cut with small biscuit cutter.
Butter bottom of skillet and place biscuits in pan. Bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.


Super Sausage Gravy from Allrecipes/Bob Evans

Ingredients
  • 1 pound Bob Evans® Original Recipe Sausage Roll
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • Salt and black pepper to taste
  • 8 prepared biscuits

Directions

  1. Crumble and cook sausage in large skillet over medium heat until browned. Stir in flour until dissolved. Gradually stir in milk. Cook gravy until thick and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve hot over biscuits. Refrigerate leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment